Monday, February 16, 2009

For Free?

I have to say, I love "free" and I love "winning." I've shared about working toward pairing cooking healthier and planning our meals with saving money. This has come to be quite the task - Have you priced 96 percent fat free ground beef lately? One night I showed my mother-in-law all the blogs I've been subscribing to where I've requested numbers of free samples, coupons and discounts. Now, I have a loooooong way to go to get to her status of coupon clipping and really I haven't been so good at that. But, I feel I am making progress at finding ways to cut our grocery bills that work for me and it has been fun. For instance, did you know you could load Proctor and Gamble coupons onto your Safeway Club Card? OK - I liked that idea!

I've added all of these coupon/money saving/freebie sites into Google Reader and I scan through them each day. One thing I've found is many of them post contests. Now, many of these sites are "mommy" blogs. I bypass all the contests for diaper bags, formulas and juice bag holders, but there are some that have piqued my interest. For instance, this is embarassing to admit, but each day of last week I commented on a blog trying to win an I-Touch. And, dang - didn't win.

But, look what I did win. Hello - it is pink, feminine, handmade, free and pretty cute! I don't feel like I ever win anything, so I admit - this felt great. Just yesterday I took a bunch of coupons for "free stuff" to the grocery store. I'm not even kidding when I tell you that I scanned all the checkers first to find someone who looked nice and wouldn't think I was a weirdo. Fortunately for me, she was actually impressed - Where did you get these? This is so cool! We got about $10 worth of free dog food, 100 calorie snack packs and even a 2-liter of Diet Dr. Pepper aside from the other savings we had on the rest of our bill from sticking to sale items.

What first seemed daunting is now kinda fun. I'm still not making my own laundry detergent like some of my other gal pals - but hey - we've all got to start somewhere, right?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Got supplies sitting in my garage, but have yet to do anything with them. I have been THAT lazy lately. :)

Love your freebie! Fun! I won a free photo book once. I was pretty stoked about that. And a free board game too which my kids were totally pumped about! I still need you to share these blogs with me too! :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

My Blog List

Who's Visiting Today?