Saturday, January 24, 2009

A Night at the Oprah, I Mean Opera

Thursday night, Andrea called and asked if I wanted to go the Seattle Opera with her the following evening. Her childhood friend Brian was performing in one of the lead roles in Bizet's The Pearl Fishers. She had two tickets and we ended up inviting OJ along (for obvious reasons to those who know her) and Andrea got her a ticket. OJ called Friday and said she couldn't make it after all. Andrea and I sent texts to those we knew that might be interested, but in the end, realized we were going on our own. We decided to just let it go knowing we'd have fun nonetheless. We were excited though when OJ called that evening to say she would be there after all after the first Act. Yippee!!

When we arrived Andrea was picking up our tickets and I heard, "Courtney W----!" It was my good friend Amy from high school. We haven't seen each other in years! She was there with her entire family to also watch Brian - what a nice surprise! We had the fortune of getting a bite to eat with them before the show. It was great.

OJ arrived at the first intermission, as promised. She had a few glasses of wine and all during the (long) intermission, we chatted and laughed away. The show was really great. This was my first "real" opera and I was pretty impressed. Brian did great and we got a chance to say hello to him afterward back in his dressing room.


We went to a local pub afterward and had a really great time - lots of laughing and storytelling involved of course. I love the below picture of Andrea - this is one of my favorite faces she makes! When we got back to the parking garage, we said goodbye to OJ and then Andrea and I headed upstairs to our cars. Andrea's was next so she said she'd drive me to where my car was (it was 1 a.m. after all and the garage was completely empty). We realized they'd coned off that section of the garage, so Andrea just drove around it. But... She actually drove OVER one of the cones and we drug it with us up to the next floor. Miss Prepared, as I like to call her, had a flashlight and there it was - a big orange cone wedged underneath her car. She was in a dress, so I crawled down trying to yank it out. Of course we were laughing hysterically by this time. I couldn't budge it, so we had her pull forward and backward until finally it worked its way out - perfectly upright by the way! Oh my - this was quite funny to us. (I promise we had no alcohol - strawberry lemonade only!).
I got home about 2:30 a.m. - quite the late night for me these days. I had such a great time - thanks OJ and Andrea! Can't wait to hang out again someday soon!
PS: When uploading the above photos I saved them as "Oprah" instead of "Opera". Yeah... I know.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

My Blog List

Who's Visiting Today?