Saturday, April 14, 2012

Buh-Bye Picnik

So, Picnik is closing. In less than five days to be exact. This may mean nothing to many of you, but to a small group of us - it is really a bummer. Picnik is a photo editing software. I use a combination of Picasa, Picnik and Photoshop Elements (PSE) to edit photos. Really, PSE could do it all for me, but I just really haven't taken the time to learn all the ins and outs of the program. Often, I'm editing photos on a Saturday night after Elyse goes to bed and time is of the essence and Picnik is really easy and quick.

We've been warned of the closing for some time now. Picnik is now suggesting we try GooglePlus, PicMonkey and Aviary.com.

Tonight I dabbled quickly in PicMonkey.
The first shot is straight-out-of-camera (SOOC) with no editing, except a little cropping. The light is just horrible in Elyse's room and many of her pictures shot in auto white balance get that terrible orange cast. The edit in PicMonkey is pretty. I like how the color cleaned up, but it does wash out the orange pad she is laying on.

Not bad, but I liked it better that Picnik was embedded as part of Picasa. It just made it easier to edit. PicMonkey is time consuming as you have to pull up each photo at a time to edit. I'll keep at it and maybe I need to start reading my PSE manual.

Happy photo editing! What programs do you like to use?

Pin It

1 comment:

Candice Cronan said...

I came across your blog a few days ago and I just love it!! I am new to the blog community and I'm not very good at it... Yet :) I have a typical P&S camera, but it takes GREAT pictures in natural light. I never take the time to edit them because I want a DSLR so so bad. I just used Picmonkey and I love it! Thanks for posting about it!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

My Blog List

Who's Visiting Today?