Saturday, June 8, 2013

Book Reading and a Recommended Reading List for Children

Growing up, I had a little brother and I had a lot of friends. But, I have a ton of memories spending time alone in my bedroom, listening to records or the radio and reading books. I loved to be surrounded by them. I loved being read to. I loved learning to read. I loved bragging to my Mom how many pages I'd read.

I went on to become a writing major in college. Today, I edit documents almost daily and have to apologize for my corrections. I can't help myself. When I see mis-spelled words or grammar issues, it is as if they launch themselves off the page at me. And, I know it started reading all of those books.

It is too early to say if Elyse will share my love, but it sure is darling to see her early enjoyment. I brought out the camera in the first place when I saw her piled on her pillow with a book in my high heels.




And, then the pile began to grow.



I've been researching monthly book subscriptions and I've yet to find just the right one. I'd love for her to receive books each month. Something new and exciting to get in the mail. We'll keep looking until we find just the right one. Or, maybe I'll just find them on my own - at a budget price of course.

Until then, happy reading!

In the meantime, here is a great list of recommended children's books as compiled by my friend, Andrea, as submitted by her friends on Facebook:
10 Apples Up on Top by Theo LeSieg
A Bad Case of Stripes by David Shannon
A Treasury of Children’s Poetry by Joanna Cole
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Amelia Bedelia (series) by Peggy Parish and Fritz Siebel
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
Are You My Mother by P.D. Eastman
Bats at the Beach by Brian Lies
Betsy Tacy (series) by Maud Hart Lovelace
Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr., John Archambault, and Lois Ehlert
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs by Judi Barrett and Ronald Barrett
Don’t Call Me Pig by Conrad J. Storad
Edward the Emu by Sheena Knowles and Rod Clement
Edwurd Fudwipper Fibbed Big by Berkley Breathed
Eloise: The Ultimate Edition by Kay Thompson and Hilary Knight
Frog and Toad (series) by Arnold Lobel
Froggy (series) by Jonathan London and Frank Remkiewicz
Go, Dog, Go! by P.D. Eastman
Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight by Jane Yolen and Mark Teague
Hug by Jez Alborough
I Ain’t Gonna Paint No More by Karen Beaumont
I Love You Stinky Face by Lisa Mccourt and Cyd Moore
I’ll Love You Forever by Robert Munsch and Sheila McGraw
If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura J. Numeroff and Felicia Bond
Inside a Barn in the Country by Alyssa Satin Capucilli and Tedd Arnold
James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg
Katy and the Big Snow by Virginia Lee Burton
La Petite Rouge Riding Hood by Mike Artell and Jim Harris
Liza Lou and the Yeller Belly Swamp by Mercer Mayer
Llama Llama Red Pajama by Anna Dewdney
Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans
Mailing May by Michael O. Tunnell and Ted Rand
Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey
Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel by Virginia Lee Burton
Mrs. Piggle Wiggle (series) by Betty MacDonald
Mud Pie Annie by Sue Buchanan
My Lucky Day bu Keiko Kasza
No, David by David Shannon
Once Upon a Cool Motorcycle Dude by Kevin O'Malley
One Monster After Another by Mercer Mayer
Rattletrap Car by Phyllis Root
Sampson and the Church Mouse by Graham Oakley
Skippyjon Jones (series) by Judy Schachner
Snuggle Puppy by Sandra Boynton
Sweet Pickles (series) by Jacquelyn Reinach and Richard Hefter
Tacky the Penguin (series) by Helen Lester and Lynn Munsinger
The Bear Snores On by Karma Wilson
The Berenstain Bears (series) by Stan and Jan Berenstain
The Boxcar Children (series) by Gertrude Chandler Warner and L. Kate Deal
The Bunyip of Berkeley’s Creek by Jenny Wagner
The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis
The Complete Adventures of Curious George by H.A. Rey
The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes by Dubose Heyward and M. Flack
The Day the Babies Crawled Away by Peggy Rathmann
The Giant Jam Sandwich by John Vernon
The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
The Little House on the Prairie (series) by Laura Ingalls Wilder
The Lorax by Dr. Seuss
The Magic Treehouse (series) by Mary Pope Osborne
The Monster at the End of this Book by Jon Stone and Michael Smollin
The Neverending Story by Michael Ende and Ralph Manheim
The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales by Jon Scieszka and L. Smith
The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
The Way I Feel by Janan Cain
The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Graham
Thomas’ Snowsuit by Robert Munsch and Michael Martchenko
Tintin (series) by Herge
Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
Wherever You Are by Nancy Tillman
Winnie the Pooh by A. A. Milne

Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

My Blog List

Who's Visiting Today?