Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy? Mother's Day

Today is Mother's Day. I've been dreading it, but I'm actually doing alright. I found this picture of my Mom and I about two years ago and about a year before she passed away. It is not the greatest of pictures, but we were laughing. Actually, we were trying to pose for a picture and got to laughing so hard we couldn't stop. We didn't even know what was so funny - you know how that it is.

I decided to post this photo in particular because I want to focus on the time I had with Mom, not on the fact she is no longer here. I had this lovely intention of putting flowers on her grave for Mother's Day, but somehow it just didn't seem quite right. Plus, given my track record of teariness this weekend, I know it would've just upset me to the point of needing to come straight home and go to bed. Instead, I want to focus on my good memories of my Mom. Remember how thankful I am for the time I had with my her. Be thankful for the other Moms I have in my life now.

We celebrated Mother's Day today at Tom and Molli's. I made a chocolate layer cake for Francie. I ate a hamburger and held Tanner on my lap, while he read me his favorite silly story. I watched little Maggie propped up on a dining room chair helping her Mom make fruit salad.

Yes, that's how I think I'll end this day. I will visit my Mom in my heart, instead of her grave.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great words from a very strong and wise woman! Visit her in your heart! That's truly where motherhood lies. It isn't a born of the circumstances of life, a product of the bones, or even of the womb, really. Motherhood is born in a woman's heart. That ought to be where it is most often honored and memorialized too. Your mom would be blessed and encouraged to see her daughter with such an amazing understanding!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

My Blog List

Who's Visiting Today?