Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Potluck Chicken Casserole

MAMA'S POTLUCK CHICKEN CASSEROLE

This is a definite theme with me lately - I'm loving comfort food. I haven't done much cooking these last few months, but I want to make this for Bill to make up for it as he really enjoys it. Mom found this recipe years ago in a Taste of Home magazine. We altered it along the way to suit our tastes. Mom loved making this for me when I'd come home during college breaks knowing I loved it so much. My only complaint? It always felt like it took too long - I never wanted to wait for it! Mama, this one's for you.

Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Bake Time: 30 Minutes
Servings: 8

1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms (Mom omitted the mushrooms, but I like 'em)
3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 tablespoons butter, divided
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups milk (skim works fine)
3/4 cup mayonnaise
4 cups cubed cooked chicken
3 cups cooked long-grain rice
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 c grated cheddar cheese
3/4 cup coarsely crushed cornflakes

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a saucepan over medium heat, saute mushrooms, onion and garlic in three tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in flour until thoroughly combined. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for two minutes or until thickened and bubbly.

3. Remove from the heat; stir in mayonnaise until smooth. Add chicken, rice, peas, lemon juice, salt and pepper, 3/4 c cheese; mix well. Spoon into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Melt remaining butter; toss with cornflakes and remaining 1/4 c cheese. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

My Blog List

Who's Visiting Today?