Sunday, June 27, 2010

Northwest-Style, Pioneer Sour Cream Pancakes

I've been meaning to post this for about a month now, but keep getting sidetracked. I tried out Pioneer Woman (PW)'s Sour Cream Pancakes a while ago and I must say - they are definitely  my favorite pancakes I've ever had. I've made them three or four times now. They've even converted my usual pancake-disliking husband. We've had them with fresh blueberries one Sunday and blackberries another and find that they are extra good with these mix-ins. I've also found my substitutions to make them healthier to be no problem at all! I know the cowboys at PW's ranch would cringe, but hey - we don't work cattle all day to work it off!

Sour Cream Pancakes
adapted from Pioneer Woman Cooks


7 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar (I've used agave nectar or Splenda)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/ 2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream (I use fat-free)
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Favorite fruit mix-in (blueberries, blackberries, etc.)
Butter (I use Smart Balance)
Maple syrup (I use maple agave nectar or pure maple syrup)

Heat a cast iron skillet or griddle over medium-low heat; you want it to slowly get nice and hot.

Stir the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt together in the bottom of a medium bowl. Dump the sour cream in on top and stir it together very gently; it’s okay to leave the texture a bit uneven. Whisk the eggs and vanilla in a separate bowl and stir them into the sour cream mixture, once again, being careful not to overmix - yellow and white is OK! If adding fruit, rinse, dry and add now (if using blackberries, make sure you slice them in half because they are so large).

Melt about a tablespoon of butter in your skillet or griddle and pour the batter in, a scant 1/4 cup at a time (they really expand and puff up so less is more!) Cook for about two minutes on the first side - you can lift them slightly and peek and see if they are turning brown. Flip them carefully and cooking about a minute on the other side. Repeat with remaining batter.

Serve in a stack, topped with a pat of butter and a cascade of pure maple syrup or maple-flavored agave nectar.

1 comment:

Seizing My Day said...

These are my favorite too!! I LOVE them! =)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

My Blog List

Who's Visiting Today?