Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Birth Story: PART ONE. Don't Say You Weren't Warned

Thia heading is a bit more cautionary than necessary. However, I know I have a mixed audience and I want to prepare my male readers, family, co-workers, etc. who may not want to read these type of stories about anyone, let alone me!

However, I know some of you are curious and I know I appreciated reading others' stories before my big day arrived.

September 10 - Due Date.

Elyse was due Friday, September 10, 2010. My due date was pretty spot-on give or take a day or two since this was a planned baby. Given my gestational diabetes, my doctors did not want me to go much beyond my due date, so the plan was to induce me if I didn't go into labor on my own. I was scheduled to be admitted Sunday, September 12 with my induction beginning the following Monday morning.

I was pretty nervous, but the good news about going full-term is it does make you feel ready. Constantly running to the restroom, heaving myself off the couch, swollen feet, hardly unable to walk to the mailboxes, I was also pretty nervous about the delivery and having it scheduled was a relief about facing another uncomfortable week of pregnancy, but also nerve-wracking knowing exactly when labor was to begin.

On Saturday, September 11, Bill and I picked up some rentals from Blockbuster to entertain us for the weekend and keep our minds off the impending trip to the hospital. Every time I would stir, return from the restroom or get up for something to drink he'd smile and ask, "Feeling laborish?" That is such a difficult question to answer at nine months pregnant. I'd been having Braxton Hicks that felt like real labor more than once as I posted.

At about 1:30 p.m. I'd woken up from a nap on the couch (little did I know this was a well-planned nap!). I had a text message from Evelyn asking if there was anything I needed in the next couple of days. I responded that I'd like to fit in a pedicure. We made plans for her to pick me up in an hour. I walked down the hall to go to the restroom (of course!) and rubbed my belly. I was having contractions and they did feel a little different - this was tightening all across my stomach instead of just in one area. I shrugged it off. When I came out of the bathroom I went to the sink to wash my hands and... "Hmmm... What is that?" It was as if I were still going to the bathroom. I wondered if it was my water breaking, but it wasn't a "gush" as I was warned. I called Bill down to ask his opinion (I'm sure husbands love this part!). He said, "I think your water just broke." Speaking very calmly, I told him, "I'm not sure - let's just see what happens. Don't worry!" I did a quick clothes change and went to put on some makeup (just in case). My makeup bag - and all of my bags for the hospital were gone. I walked through the house looking for Bill and found him in the garage with all of our things loaded in the car! Again, speaking calmly, I asked him if he could get my small pink makeup bag out my bag for the hospital. OK, yes, I hadn't put pants back on and yes, the garage door was open, but I was trying to be nonchalant. He looked at me like I was nuts and said, "We need to go!" and I breezed off saying, "We have time, DON'T WORRY!"

I put on some quick makeup, hair back into a ponytail, grabbed a towel and a disposable changing pad to sit on our leather seats and we were off. We promised each other we wouldn't call anybody until we made sure we were really in labor. However, I remembered I needed to tell Evelyn something - she'd be over soon to pick me up. Bill also had to call Molli (our sister-in-law) as she was coming by to bring us a casserole. We arrived at the hospital shortly thereafter and were excited to get a front row spot! I felt embarrassed getting out of the car as I felt my wet pants and waddled my way down the stairs to Labor and Delivery.

To be continued...

No comments:


Blog Widget by LinkWithin

My Blog List

Who's Visiting Today?